"It was good because we were at the station, so we had enough people at the station so we could respond", said Tim Fuller, Assistant Fire Chief for the Midway Fire Department.
The most probable cause of the fire was the improper disposal of fireworks debris in the bed of the pickup.
Greener said the department, which has 24,000 likes on its Facebook page, was closely monitoring feedback on social media, where many people complained about the excessive use of fireworks. "The wind changed from the approaching thunderstorm and blew the fireworks into the brush and dead trees just southeast and down the hill from that field".
The fire was quickly extinguished but had already caused damage to the garage, house and two vehicles. There were no injuries at this location, officials said.
Ambulances took both men to Lincoln hospitals with severe hand trauma, said Lincoln police Capt. Ryan Dale.
According to the CPSC, more than one-third (35%) of the people seen in emergency rooms for fireworks injuries from June 20-July 20, 2014 were under 15; nine percent were under five.
That's triple the average amount of calls. They all made it out safely. "Our message: Be real careful with consumer fireworks, not only the safety of igniting them but also picking them up afterwards".
The Denver fire department says they put out at least 29 fires on July 4 alone, down slightly from 2016 when Denver fire responded to 35 fires on the 4 of July. McKenzie said they are enforcing the ordinances.
One of the first incidents involving structure damage to a home happened Monday at 7:09 p.m.in the 700 block of Yukon Court in West Lincoln.
A child ignited a fire with fireworks near a creek in Greenwood Village just before noon Wednesday.
"It is pretty much destroyed", said Mark Killian, assistant fire chief.