As the eclipse makes its way from coast to coast across the United States, there is no part of Canada where the sun will be completely eclipsed. He'll have 900 viewers available, and will be giving them away on a first-come, first-served basis.
21, at 1:30 p.m., the moon will block out 91 percent of the midday sun in the Kankakee area, only leaving 9 percent of normal daylight. While North Carolina is not directly in the path of totality, we will be treated to a partial eclipse.
Eclipse viewing glasses and handheld solar viewers should have certification information with a designated ISO 12312-2 worldwide standard, have the manufacturer's name and address printed on the product, and not be used if they are older than three years or have scratched or wrinkled lenses. It will take less than 2 hours for the entire swath of total eclipses to occur across the country.
In addition to providing tips on how to watch the eclipse and a map for when or where to watch, NASA has created an event map for TV and web broadcast locations, as well as official viewing locations. You can replicate an eclipse by holding a flashlight and waving your hand slowly across it.
"If there's any crescent of the actual sun visible, that can harm your eyes permanently, even during an eclipse", said Dr. Michael Haney, an ophthalmologist in Thomasville, Georgia. The easiest way to view the eclipse safely is with eclipse glasses. Therefore, you will need eclipse glasses that are ISO certified and from a retailer on this list. And just as a magnifying glass can focus the energy of sunlight enough to set a piece of paper on fire, sunlight focused through the lens of your eye can scorch your retina with little or no warning. The lenses of these paper or plastic framed glasses will be so obscuring that unless you are looking at something as bright as the sun, you won't see anything at all.
Locally, it will last from 11:58 a.m.to 2:54 p.m.